For anyone looking to take advantage of defi, purchase and mint NFTs or take advantage of other dapps, MetaMask is a must-have tool. MetaMask is more than just a digital wallet that lets you access your funds on the blockchain. It is an application that acts as your browser to web3 technologies.
Currently, Metamask is available as a browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Brave and more. You can start by visiting the MetaMask homepage, where you can download the extension for your respective browser of choice. Once the browser extension is downloaded, you will see the MetaMask “fox” icon in the top-right corner of your browser window.
Downloading MetaMask browser extension
It is best practice to verify you are downloading from a trusted source by going directly to the MetaMask website.
- Go directly to Metamask.io, you are ready to begin downloading.
- Look for your respective browser and that is where you will start.
- For this guide, we will be installing and setting up MetaMask on the Brave browser. The steps are similar to all other browsers.
- Scroll down until you see “Supported Browsers” — click the Brave icon.
- Next: you will be directed to the web store in your brave browser, — click Add to Brave
- You will then be asked to confirm that you want to add this extension — click Add Extension
- Next: The MetaMask welcome screen will pop up.
Once you click Get Started, you will come to a screen that is going to prompt you to either Import Wallet or to Create A Wallet. For this example, we are creating a new wallet but if you already have a secret recovery phrase from a previous wallet that you set up, you may enter it by selecting Import wallet.
Creating a new wallet in MetaMask
Let’s assume that you are brand new to MetaMask and you are creating a wallet for the first time. You will be creating a new wallet with a new set of private keys.
- Click Create wallet
- Create a password and agree to MetaMask’s terms > then click Create
NOTE: this password is only stored locally and used to secure the app on the device you are using. It will NOT give you access to your funds on a different device.
Secret Recovery Phrase
This next step, in the MetaMask setup process, is the most important.
MetaMask will assign what is called a Secret Recovery Phrase. This phrase is a string of 12 randomly generated words, and this phrase will be the “master key” to the funds that will later be stored using your wallet.
For more information on secret recovery phrases, check out:
Read more about: What Is A Metamask Secret Recovery Phrase?
Never disclose your Secret Recovery Phrase. Anyone with this phrase can take your Ether forever. Your Secret Recovery Phrase controls all of your accounts.
- Click the blurred box to reveal your secret recovery phrase.
- Write this phrase, in the order you see on your screen, on a piece of paper and store in a secure location.
Read more about: How to: Guard Your Secret Recovery Phrase
- After you have recorded the recovery phrase — click Next
- Finally, MetaMask will prompt you to re-enter words from your recovery phrase in the order they were given.
That’s it! You have successfully created a new Ethereum wallet using the MetaMask browser extension on Brave browser.
Want to support more unbiased discussions and deep dive content in crypto? Andrew accepts tips! ETH/MATIC: 0x5290F0D929De438799377Fa956dEa76CDEF318b6 BTC: bc1qfvaqqc2k85cyuvakjh93ege46trqs9l0v52f9p